The Department of Economic & Community Development is the first point of contact for new businesses, developers looking to provide commercial and residential opportunities, or established businesses looking to invest and expand within the Borough. Perkasie Borough is committed to maintaining a business-friendly relationship in which commercial activity can flourish. We are here to help you!
The Department works with the Planning Commission, Zoning Hearing Board, Economic Development Committee, and Code Inspections to ensure all appropriate agencies are working to guide the applicant(s) through the process of establishing a business in Perkasie Borough. We can also help identify commercial space in the Borough that may meet the needs of a new or growing business.
The first step is to contact the Borough’s Office of Economic and Community Development at 215-257-5065. Conversations and support from the office are free and confidential.
Consider taking a look at the relevant sections of Perkasie’s Code of Ordinances. A number of Ordinances apply to opening or expanding a business in the Borough.
Before establishing or expanding a business in the Borough, you must determine whether the chosen location allows the proposed business type. A copy of the Borough’s Zoning Map is available on our website and a Table of Uses is in the Borough’s Code Book. A zoning exception or variance may be required if your required use is not “Permitted” in the zoning district. Our office can help you make sure that a proposed business will meet all Borough zoning requirements prior to any investment being made.
Use and Occupancy Permits
A Use and Occupancy permit is required for any business established in the Borough prior to opening. A U&O is also required
- when a business expands or wishes to change or expand the types of services offered.
- when an established business is aquired by a new owner
- when a business leases space space from another business.
U&O Permit applications are available on our website, or may be obtained at Borough Hall, 620 West Chestnut Street and the cost is determined by the fee schedule. Be aware a Certificate of Use & Occupancy must be obtained prior to the start of business operations.
Permits are required for most new construction, renovation and demolition within Borough limits. Our Building Permit Application form is available on our website. Commercial Building Permit Applications generally require “Signed & Sealed” plans. Do not begin mechanical, plumbing or electrical work until Building Permits are approved. The Fee Schedule lists the costs associated with construction or demolition projects. U&O Permits are granted only after construction and inspections are completed.
Borough code regulates the location and area of all types of signs including awnings, roof, vehicle window and real estate. A sign permit must be obtained before constructing and placing a sign on any property in the Borough. A Sign Permit Application Form is available on our website or at Borough Hall.
A home occupation is considered a non-residential use conducted within or administered from a portion of a dwelling used as a permanent residence that meets the definition of general home occupation or light home occupation and is the secondary use of the dwelling. A permit application is available on our website or at Borough Hall. Home Based Business Applications also require a Zoning Permit. A No-Impact Home Based Business application is available on our website or at Borough Hall.
Connecting with the Perkasie Community
Perkasie Borough maintains a Directory of businesses located in the Borough, and an active, seasonally updated page of shopping and community activities. www.perkasieborough.org/ShopPerkasie. We work closely with Borough businesses to include them appropriately in Borough community activities and have opportunities for businesses wishing to reach a regional audience by financial or in-kind support of our large community events.
- Electric Service: is provided by the Perkasie Borough Electric Department. A security deposit may be required for new accounts. All accounts are billed monthly with bills being mailed at the end of each month and due on or around the 15th of each month. Please call 215-257-5065 to establish electric service prior to start of operations and also to cancel service before vacating the premises.
- Water and Sewer Service: is provided by the Perkasie Regional Authority, 150 Ridge Road in Sellersville. Call 215-257-3654 weekdays, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Trash Collection and Recycling: Businesses that generate trash and recycling in the Borough must have that waste picked up in the Borough. Businesses choose their own trash and recycling hauler(s). Perkasie Borough is an Act 101 mandated community. Act 101 requires all commercial establishments in PA to recycle high grade office paper, corrugated cardboard, aluminium cans and leaf waste. In addition, Borough Ordinance requires that commercial establishments recycle glass (all colors), plastic containers #1-7 and newpaper.
Door-Door Soliciting requires a permit issued by the Perkasie Borough Police Department, 311 South 9th Street.
The Borough’s Comprehensive Plan, Executive Summary is HERE.
Developers and business owners interested in moving to the Borough may like to read WHY PERKASIE?