The 2019 Earth Day event is scheduled from 12pm-4pm on April 20th. Please check back for more information.
The 2018 Earth Day event took place in the midst of a huge temporary fiber-arts installation, where trees, fence panels, benches, pavilions and bike racks were decorated in a riot of color and texture with a variety of knit, crochet and other art and craft pieces. The Perkasie “Yarn Bloom” was part of an international yarn “bombing” movement where artists use yarn to temporarily decorate and embellish outdoor structures.
In keeping with the theme of the Bloom, visitors to Menlo Park on April 21st could
- Repurpose an old T shirt into a tote bag or a workout tank
- Pet an alpaca (weather permitting)
- Make a yarn bird nest helper
- See fiber-art demonstrations: spinning, weaving, rope making, latch hooking, felting and more
- Use plastic grocery bags to help make sleeping mats for the homeless
- Contribute to a fiber-art community project in the park
- Plant and take a seed with Boy Scout Troop #7
- Help Pennridge FISH make a fish fence panel mural – BRING A NON-PERISHABLE FOOD ITEM!
- Learn about the international Peyton Heart crochet project
- Enjoy entertainment and instrument making with “World Music with Daria”
- Listen to the library story time at 2pm
- Find out more about 2018 projects in Perkasie: the Menlo playground, park plans, the Farmers Market, summer programs, the Perkasie Mural Project and more.
- Drop in at the library during opening hours to plant a seed to take home
- The Big Ben Baked Potato Company and the Rita’s Italian Ice snack bar are open. Hot coffee by The Coffee Scoop.
- Electronics recycling by Perkasie PC Repair and Recycling
- Clothing, shoe, accessories, linens, toy collection by the Perkasie Rotary (see Rotary Clothing Flyer 2018 for more information)
“The event is intended, in part, to bring a focus to the Borough’s plans to encourage art programs in Perkasie and to share information about our plans for the parks says Megan Prusienski, the Borough’s new Parks and Recreation Director. “Members of the Park and Rec Board will be on hand to explain plans for the Menlo playground, the Lenape ampitheatre and the murals coming to town. We’ll also have information about the upcoming Summer Concert series and new summer Rec programming.”
Local businesses and organizations are invited to contact the Borough’s Event Coordinator for more information about creative sponsorship and corresponding marketing benefits available at this event.
Contact email@example.com or 215-257-5065